Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day for the Boucher/Johnson household

Memorial Day has been a part of my family tradition, and when Bill joined the family we included his family in the yearly ritual.

The day started out rather chilly. On our way to Astoria we stopped at a Lava Java in Ridgefield, WA for a latte & mocha. One of the Barista’s there won the world championship in 2005. It was very good coffee (Stumptown) and right off the freeway so on we continued to Astoria.

First stop the “old cemetery” which is where the Pentilla side of my family is buried. The Pentilla’s are my Mothers, Mothers side of the family. It’s a pretty old cemetery along the River or maybe it’s the end of the Young’s Bay. Not sure which. Anyway, there are five family members who are resting there. I created the floral arrangement and Bill cleaned the stones.

Next stop was the cemetery in Warrenton, where we met up with my brother Bob to attend to more of the family. This cemetery is also along a pond or slough and is very scenic. Bob gathered all of the vases for the first stop and I began the floral arrangements. First to receive flowers were my Grandma & Grandpa, Eleanor & Carl Verschueren. I always create an arrangement in Yellow & White as my Mom has thought it very striking. Bob bought a rose as roses were one of
my Grandpa’s favorites and he also brought a few razor clam shells as Grandpa LOVED to dig razor clams on the beach.

Next of the list was the Hoefke family stone, which my great great grandfather & great great grandmother are, Charles & Anna Hoefke, and then we moved on to the Verschueren stone where, my Great grandfather & great grandmother are, Charles & Elise Verschueren and also my Aunty Garner (who is my Grandfathers sister) are.

Then it was off to the Furhman stone where Edward and his parents are resting.
I once again did the floral arrangements with some help from Bob and Bill cleaned up the stones.

Then were changed location and went to visit Dagmar and her family. Two more flower arrangements as well as more stones to clean. And we were off to the last stop which was my Uncle John and Aunt Lydia are. Uncle John is my Grandfather’s brother). There we met some “live” relatives. Susie and her family. Susie is my Mom’s cousin as her dad is my Grandpa’s brother.

As we wander though the cemetery I gave Bill all kinds of tidbits about family members that he won’t ever have a chance to meet and many that I had only heard stories about but never met.

We bid farewell to Bob and then went back to Astoria to the Maritime Wall, where Bill’s father, James Johnson and his Uncle Edward Johnson are listed. Bill’s father & Uncle both passed away in a boating accident on the Columbia River in 1971 and Bill and his Sister Cheryl had them added to the Maritime Wall. It’s a place that we always stop when in Astoria. As there isn’t much space for a floral arrangement we placed a single red rose next to each of their names.
I thought this was a cool photo as you can see the reflection of both Bill & I looking at The Wall where his Father & Uncle's names are (right next to the roses).

Next stop was to find a new coffee spot in Astoria. We stopped at one, but didn’t like the coffee they served so stopped in a little bookstore and asked the owner if she knew of a good coffee shop. She directed us to Astoria Coffee House a couple blocks away. It was our kind of funky little shop and the Barista did an excellent job with our coffee, Stumptown yet again. A few months ago I would have said ick to Stumptown but now I’m finding that I quite like it, and I also find it interesting that the Barista’s at the shops that serve Stumptown always do latte art.

Last stop in Astoria was the Home Baking Company where we had to get some prune tarts for my Mom (us too of course)….Then we headed back towards Beaverton for our last cemetery visit of the day.

In Beaverton both of Bill’s parents rest, James Johnson and his wife Maxine, and right next to them are his Aunt Virginia and Uncle Mac. Once again I did the floral arrangements and Bill cleaned the stones. Visiting family at the cemetery isn’t something that Bill did before he met me, but as with me telling him stories about my family at the Astoria and Warrenton cemeteries, it was now my turn to listen to stories about Bill’s Dad & Mom.

There is always much to reminisce about on Memorial Day weekend when visiting the family a reminder of this or that story. It’s a reminder of where we came from and a reminder that no matter what, our family resides within us in memories that will never be forgotten.

Happy Memorial Day, May you remember something about one of your family members that brings a smile to your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment